Default Groups help you manage the groups that are automatically assigned to certain types of Events.
Every time those Event Types are created, the Default Groups are automatically assigned to them.
Path: Home > Courses > [Course Screen] > People > Groups > Default Groups
Select Minimum Default
Use this screen to add or remove groups from the Default Groups list.
- The column on the left displays the Available Groups, the groups selected will be in the Selected Groups column on the right.
- Click the small black square located on the top right corner to Save and close.
Organizational Choices: If your Course will be using Small Groups at any point, do not select the Main Student Group.
- In order for all Staff and Faculty to see the Events in the Course, it is important to include the Course Director (CD) group, the Faculty group, and the Staff group.
- The Audit group may also be included in case there is ever a need for auditors to have access to the Course (Student-Mentors/Facilitators may be added to the Audit group).
NOTE: Any groups selected here will automatically be included as a default group for all Events in this Course.
Again, if your Course will have Small Group Events, the Main Student Group should not be included in the Course Default Groups list.
Designate the Default Groups to specific Event Types. For example, if lecture Events always include the Main Student Group, add them here.
NOTE: If Lab Events are composed of Small Groups, you will need to leave the Main Student Group out.
You will assign Small Groups at the Event level in the Event Management screen.
In this example, we will be selecting Assessment to assign default groups to.
NOTE: The Event Types listed in this screen will only include the Event types that currently have Events in this Course.
- Select from the Unassociated Groups column to move your groups to the Associated Groups column.
- Click Get Extended List for more group options.
- Click the black square to save and close this screen.
NOTE: Alternatively, you can assign the groups at the individual Event level. However, if you do this, you will have to assign groups to every single Event of that type individually.
Assigning Default Groups allows you to assign the groups for all Events of that type at once.
To push your changes out to all the scheduled Events, click Options and select Assign All Groups
- You will be prompted to confirm the changes.
For Small Group Events you will need to assign the individual Students or Small Groups
Path: Home > Courses > [Course Screen] > Events > Manage Events
- Click the number link under the G# column to quickly assign Students or Small Groups.
NOTE: If this were an Event Type where the Main Student Group was part of the Default Groups no further Student groups will need to be assigned.
We are now going to add individuals to this Event.
- Select the individuals that you want to add.
- Or if Students have already been assigned to Small Groups in your Course, you can select the individual Groups that need to be added to this particular Event.
- Click the small square at the top-right corner of the screen to save and exit.
When you exit the previous screen, you will return to the Event Management screen shown above. The G# column corresponding with the Event you edited will reflect the changes you have made.