This step-by-step guide will show you the workflow for setting up the Gradebook in a Course for the first time. Your Gradebook can contain as many Categories as you require. The default Category is Exam.
There are three ways in which the Gradebook scores can be calculated:
- Weighted Value. In this method each Category and Assignment can be given a weighted value that is relative to the other Assignments and Categories.
- Percent. This method assigns the percentage of the total score for the Category or Assignment. When a percentage is given to a Category, it specifies the percentage of the total Gradebook grade.
- Raw Points. This method takes the total points for all Assignments and divides by the Student total score.
In either case, the total score of each Category will be adjusted by its weighted value or percentage value to determine what portion of the total score each Category will contribute.
For more information, refer to Account Manager: Gradebook > Global Settings > Method of Relative Value Calculation
In this example, in the Gradebook's Global Settings , the percentage (5) was chosen as the method of relative value for calculation.
Path: Home > Courses > [Course Screen] > Assessment > Gradebook
NOTE: When you first open the Gradebook, you will only see your list of Students.
Category Settings Screen
- Name: Name for new grading Category
- Released: This field determines if the grades for the Assignments within that Category are viewable by Students. YES = Students will see grades, NO = Student will not see grades. You must release the Category in order for the Assignments below it to be released to Students. You can still choose to keep individual Assignments hidden when the Category has been released.
- Sequence: This will determine where the Category will appear in the Gradebook in relation to the Student name column and the other Categories created
- Percentage: This field determines the percentage allocation for this Category in relation to the other Categories in the Gradebook.
- Critical Score: The numerical score that Leo will consider to be the cut off for a failing score.
- Course Fail: . Any score below this number is considered a failing grade.
- Save Record
- Deleted: Categories can be set as Deleted by setting this field to YES.
New Assignment or Edit Assignment Screen
- Nam: Name of Assignment
- Iteration: This is a unique key used for Assignments within the Category that have the same assignment name.
- Type: Manual Entry/Import
- Team Score: Yes/No Toggle. NOTE: This feature was designed solely for labeling purposes. For example, marking the Team Scores field = Yes could signify to Admins that the scores were uploaded based on teams or that the scores were pushed over as team scores, but does not automatically distribute scores to the other group members.
- Category: Existing Categories will appear in drop down menu.
- Sequence: This determines the Assignment's position in the Gradebook in relation to other existing Assignments within this Category. You can always return to this screen to change the Assignment's sequence/position.
- Released: This determines if the grades for this Assignment is viewable to Students. Change this field to Yes when you are ready for Students to see their grade(s) for this Assignment.
- Max Score: This is the maximum score available for the Assignment.
- Percentage: This field will calculate the score based on percentage.
- Save Record
- Deleted: Yes = Delete Assignment
NOTE: In order for Students to view their grades, you must release the Category AND Assignment by setting the Released field to Yes.
- If there is a padlock icon present, it means that Category/Assignment has NOT been released to Students.
- Be sure to click Save Record to save any changes.