Overview of the Gradebook
For every Course in Leo, there is a Gradebook:
- Each entry in the Gradebook can be manually adjusted and scores from the Gradebook can be exported to a spreadsheet (.CSV format) for use in other applications.
- The Gradebook automatically recalculates all Assignments each time it is opened by an Administrator.
- Grades for each Course will only be pushed to the Academic Portrait if a Snapshot has been run from the Gradebook.
Path: Home > Courses > [Course Screen] > Assessment > Gradebook
NOTE: Only Users with sufficient access privileges can see and manage the Gradebook. Typically, these include the Faculty and Course Directors, that have been assigned to the Course and/or its Events, or Staff Administrators that have access to the entire curriculum.
However, this may be different at your school or program. Your local Administrator will know more about any special business rules that are in place at your institution.
An Assignment holds scores for a Group of Students that participated in some sort of Exam or activity that was graded. There are many sources of Assignments, such as:
- Assignments (documents to be uploaded and graded)
- Peer Evaluations
- Manual Entry/Import
Assignments can be team based, which means that a team leader takes the Exam and all members of the team receive the same score.
(1). Click New Assignment. Fill out the required fields in the Assignment Editor below.
(2). Click Save Record to continue.
(3). Click the Assignment to access the editor. Assignments can be edited or deleted at any time.
A Category in the Gradebook is what determines how the final grade for the Course can be calculated.
- Each Category can be assigned a percentage of the total grade.
- When these categories are added up, they will total 100%.
For example, the default Category is Exams.
- Unless you create additional categories, the percentage value of the Exam Category will be 100% because it is the only Category in the Gradebook for this Course.
- Click the New Category link.
- Fill out the required fields (*) and click Save Record to save the Category.
- Delete an existing Category by clicking the Category link and setting the Deleted field to Yes.
TIP: You can create other categories, such as Quizzes, Assignments, Participation, etc. to balance out the weight of the Course.
NOTE: If you delete a Category, all entries within that Category will also be deleted.
The Gradebook data can be exported as a spreadsheet in .CSV format.
There are two export options:
- Calculated Scores: where the report will include any calculated scores.
- Raw Scores: where the report will only contain the original scores, not the calculated scores such as the average.
Click the CSV link to begin exporting. You will then be prompted to select the export format you prefer.
This feature will take a Snapshot of the grades, Assignments and Categories in the Course Gradebook and will send updated grades to the Students’ Academic Portfolio and it will also make the data available for analysis
The Finalize option will take a final Snapshot of the Gradebook will send the data to the Registrar and lock the Gradebook. The data is then data available to the Institution for analysis and will also update the Academic Portfolio.
NOTE: This is not something that you can view on the screen. This was designed for schools with someone with SQL experience who can retrieve that data from the database and put it into a program like SPSS or SAS.
- Do NOT take a Snapshot of the Gradebook unless you are ready for your Students to view their grades in their Academic Portfolio.
- Do NOT use the Snapshot feature if any grades, Assignments or Categories are still locked in the Gradebook
- Click Snapshot to capture the Category and Assignment totals of the Gradebook at that moment in time and send the grades to the Student Academic Portfolio for viewing and store them in the Institution's database.
- Finalize will create a final snapshot and will lock all of the grades. This information can be exported for the Registrar. The Finalized Grades can be sent automatically to the Registrar if your feed had been set up for this option during the Registrar Integration set up.
- Stop will stop any further action on this screen.
Additional Gradebook Features
There are several small icons at the bottom of each Assignment in the Gradebook:
- Chart icon: displays the analytic data for the Assignment: Mean, Median, Mode and SD and the Student scores appear as a pie chart.
- Pencil icon: allows manual input/edit of grades for the Assignment.
- Score upload icon: allows upload of a spreadsheet of scores for the Assignment.
- Merge Assignment icon: allows merger of an Assignment with another Assignment in the Gradebook.
- Export comment icon: generates an export, by Student, containing comments for the Students in the current Assignment.
- Lock icon: indicates that the Assignment is locked and Students can not view their grades until the lock is released.
NOTE: Merged Assignments - Once an Assignment has been merged with another, that action cannot be reversed.