- Discussions can be used in any Course and can be initiated by Course Directors, Course Coordinators, Faculty, or Students assigned to a Course.
- If a Discussion is set as Public, any user that can open and view the Event Screen can join and comment in the Discussion.
- Non-public (or Private) Discussions have a defined set of users that can access the Discussion.
- The Discussion email notification option only works with Private Discussions.
- In order to reduce the list of participants for a private Discussion, schedule Discussions from a Small Group Event.
- A Discussions can be deleted by the author of the Discussion (except Students) or any other Admin-level User of the system.
Path: Home > Courses > [Select Course] > Discussions > New Discussion
This screen allows you manage the Discussion settings, which include:
- The title (*) of the Discussion, is not a unique field, but you are encouraged to make your Discussion name distinctive. TIP: 'Discussion' is not a good name.
- Public: If a Discussion is public then any user that can get to the info screen can join the Discussion. Non-public (private) Discussions have a defined set of users who can access the Discussion.
NOTE: If this is a private (non-public) Discussion, then this where you can assign the Exam that will be use by Faculty to evaluate Students. The Exam can only contain multiple choice questions.
Until you create a Top Level Post nobody will be notified that there is a new Discussion. If you want others to participate in your Discussion, you need to create a Top Level Post after the initial set up of the Discussion.