Faculty: Event Discussion Menu
Path: Calendar > Event > Discussion
This screen allows you create or manage a Discussion. Each Discussion must have a title and a group of Users who can participate in the Discussion.
By default, the following Users are automatically included:
- Any Students linked to the current Event, Long Event, or Course screen
- Any instructors linked to the screen
- The Course Directors and Coordinators
- Any Staff assigned to the Course
If you are an Administrator, you can modify the list of Users.
This screen allows you manage the Discussion settings.
- Title: This title will be displayed to Users in reports to identify the Discussion.
- Instructions: This optional field is provided for you to enter instructions about the Discussion. The instructions will be displayed at the top of the Discussion.
- YES: Any User who has access to the screen to which the Discussion is attached will have access to the Discussion. However, public Discussions cannot be graded, and no notifications are sent out for public Discussions.
- NO: A private (non-public) Discussion is only accessible to Users who have been directly assigned to the Discussion. Private Discussions are also gradeable. Notifications are sent out to those who are identified as participants in the Discussion.
- Exam: YES = This is where you can assign an Exam to the Discussion thread that will be use by Faculty to evaluate Students. The Exam can only contain multiple choice questions.
- Deleted: If set to YES then the Discussion will no longer be available
The icons represent the following functions:
- View all posts for an individual Student with the option to grade the posts.
- Manage the Discussion Group.
- Edit the Discussion settings.
- Collapse all Discussion thread.
- Expand all Discussion threads.
- Discussion help.
- Refresh screen to show most current posts.
- Close the screen
This is the Discussion User Interface.
Until you create a Topic nobody will be notified that there is a new Discussion. If you want others to participate in your Discussion, you need to create a Topic after the initial set up of the Discussion. (This is only applicable for Discussions that are NOT Public because Notifications are only sent out for Discussions that are NOT Public.)
You can add new topic and/or reply to an existing post.