Path: Home > Admin Toolbar > Course Management > Program Settings > Years and Dates
Academic Years defines a year in which classes will take place.
It is important not to confuse Academic Years with School Years.
- Academic Years define a calendar year for the school. It may often begin in one year and end in another year. Examples are: SOM 2019/2020, SOM 2018-2019
- School Year defines the year in the curriculum, such as First Year, Second Year, etc.
The current year for the system is based on the year number, such as 2018, 2019, 2020, etc. Every year in every Program has a year number, and the System year number applies to all Programs.
If you have changed the G&O Version of a year, you can click on the G&O version field in the report to migrate the Objectives from the old G&O version to the new G&O version.
(1) Set Current Year
This screen will set you select the master Academic Year number for the system. Each Program in the System had its own set of Academic Years. Every Academic Year has a year number, such as 2018, 2019, etc.
By setting the Master Academic Year, you define the current Academic Year for each Program, based on the Academic Year in each Program with the year number that matches the master year number.
(2) Add Year/Edit Year
This screen is used to define a given Academic Year for a given Program.
The key features of this screen include:
- Year Number: (*) This is the numeric year number that this record represents
- Year Name: (*) This is the name of the year, which should include the Program's abbreviation
- Program: (*) This links the year to a Program. This is the primary means of linking a Course to a Program (i.e., assigning the year to a Course also assigns the Program).
- Goal Version: (*) Defines the set of Goals and Objectives to be used in this Academic year. This should not be changed once there is activity in this year.
- From: (*) The (default) first day of this year
- Until: (*) The (default) last day of this year
- Enable Course Objectives Check this box to enable course objectives for this Academic Year
- Deleted: This deletes the Academic Year record. This should never be set to YES for a year that has activity.
(3) Migrate G&O
This utility will let you migrate G&O from one version of G&O to another, so long as the names of the Objectives are exactly the same. This will affect all Courses, Events, Long Events, and other linked learning objects within the Academic Year.
This report shows a list of all active School Year records, the Program to which they belong, and the number of Course Template records assigned to the School Year.
Note: Deleting a School Year effectively deletes every Course Template and Course linked to that School Year. So, be very careful before deleting one of these records. As with almost all records in Leo, you can restore a deleted School Year record.
(1) Add School Year
- Name: Enter the name for the School Year, Year One, First Year
- Number: Enter the numeric year that this School Year represents. 999 = All.
- Program: Enter the primary Program that uses this year
- Save Record
- Deleted: This deletes the School Year record.
(2) Edit School Year
This screen lets you define a School Year for a given Program. While you can cross link Courses from different Programs, there are many places in the System that will require the Program for the School Year to match the Program for the Academic Year.
This screen lets you specify the current year for a Program from the list of years that have been defined for that program.
If no default year is specified, the Sysadmin will receive a nightly reminder to create a year. The field needs to be correct and up-to-date for the System to work effectively.