There are a two components that should be considered before you create a new lottery record. Determining the following before creating a new Lottery record is our recommended best practice.
- Group Access: Which group(s) of students will be participating in the lottery? Students that are participating in your lottery should be part of a group(s) that can be assigned access. While multiple groups can be assigned access, it is important to note that every student within the groups that have been assigned will have access to rank their lottery selections.
- Elements: Elements are the things that students will be ranking. These can be Groups, Events, Long Events, or Course Sections. For the easiest workflow, you should make sure that the elements already exist within your system before creating your lottery record. Keep in mind, that events and course sections can be created in bulk via the data entry tool in the Admin Toolbar.
This article will address the components and various considerations for creating an Event or Long Event Lottery in Leo. Leo also supports Group, Course, and Course Block Lotteries. Not sure which one to to utilize? Click here to learn more about each type of Lottery and the various outcomes.
Create a new Event or Long Event Lottery
- Lottery Name: Create a name for your Course Lottery.
- Program: Select the Program from the drop-down list.
- Type: Select Lottery from the drop-down list.
- Signup for: Select Event or Long Event from the drop-down list.
- Course: This defaults to HIDDEN for this type of lottery. However, you should select a course section. Best Practice is to NOT leave HIDDEN in this field for an Event or Long Event Lottery. Once you select a course, you will only be able to utilize the already created Events or Long Events in the selected course section as the Lottery elements.
- Begin Date & Time: Select begin date.
- End Date & Time: Select the end date.
- Min Count: The minimum number of students required to be awarded an element before the system will award the element to anyone (e.g. An event much have at least 6 students in order to be allowed). This field is optional. Setting it here will set it globally for all elements, although these numbers can be adjusted individually for each element.
- Max Count: The maximum number of students that are allowed to be awarded a specific course section. This field is optional. Setting it here will set it globally for all elements, although these numbers can be adjusted individually for each element.
- Save Record: Save the Record and then reopen it to add Elements and Group Access. When you reopen your saved Lottery, you will see more menu options at the top of the screen.
For an Event Lottery, Elements are the Events, or Long Events, that you should have already created in Leo. Students will be able to select and rank these Elements in the Lottery.
NOTE: A single lottery can include Events OR Long Events, but not both. Be sure to select make the appropriate selection when you choose the Sign-up for: field in the previous step.
Add Lottery Elements
Choose Options > Add. This is where you can select a single Event to add to the Lottery.
- Linked to: begin typing or double-click to get a drop-down list of Events to select from.
- Min Count: the minimum number of students required to be awarded an element before the system will award the element to anyone (if left empty, this field will default to the Min Count set on the previous screen).
- Max Count: the maximum number of Students that can be awarded this element (if left empty, this field will default to the Max Count set on the previous screen).
- History: this field will show you any important information about the history of the record. This field will remain empty until the record has been finalized.
Click Save Record to save and exit this screen.
After adding all of your Elements, choose Options > Settings to return to the Edit Lottery Record screen. Click Group Access.
Group Access Screen
Select from the Available Groups (left hand column) to move Students to the Selected Groups (right hand column). Click the small square icon at the top-right corner of the screen to save your selection and exit the screen.
NOTE: Do NOT skip this step - if you do not select which Groups are included in this Lottery, the Lottery will be sent to every User in your system.
Choosing Reset Min/Max, will present you with a warning asking you if you are sure you want to reset the elements based on the defaults entered in the Lottery Record.
- Click OK to continue.
- Cancel to go back.
NOTE: This option will reset all the Min/Max elements to match the original Min/Max Count you originally set when creating this Lottery.
Return to the Edit Lottery Record screen.
- Make sure you click Save Record before exiting this screen.
- This will save the Lottery record and all the settings.
- Your Lottery will be available for students to rank their selections based on the dates entered on this screen. They will receive a notification in the Activity Bell, and can access the Lottery from that screen.