A Lottery lets you pick various elements from a list, which might be made up of:
- Long Events
- A Lottery lets you rank order your preferences, and the System will do its best to give you your first choice(s).
- Each choice has a maximum capacity.
- If the number of selections exceeds the capacity of an element, then the System will randomly select Students for the element.
- The System will move on to the second choice and so on, until the student is assigned to an element.
Typically Lotteries are used to determine Clerkship Rotations & Sites, Electives and/or Selectives.
A Sign Up is filled on a first come, first served basis. Once the available slots are filled, then they will be unavailable for you to choose from.
Overview of how the Lotteries/Sign Ups work within the System.
And below is a step-by-step guide on how you, as a student, will be notified of a new Lottery/ Sign Up, how you can participate in a Lottery/ Sign Up, and then remove the notification after making a selection.
The Activity report will notify you of any other actionable information you need to know, such as updates/changes to upcoming Events, new documents, upcoming or due Exams or Evaluations and Lottery or Sign Ups that become available for you.
The Activity icon (bell) will have a red number next to it when you have a new Activity Alert.
When you click on the icon, you will be taken to your Activity Report, where you will see a list of your Activities, including this Lottery/Sign Up notification.
New Activity Alerts will be in bold text prior to clicking on the link. When you click on the link you will be taken to another screen to make your selection.
Click on the Lottery/Sign Up link and you will be taken to another screen to make your selection.
Information Icon: The little "i" on the far right side of each Element will give you some basic information about that element (Course/Event) to help you make your selection.
You can adjust your choices in the following ways:
- Click on the rank number to select a new rank.
- Use the arrow keys to move an element up or down one position in the ranking.
- Click on the check box to select, or deselect, an element.
If you do not make enough choices it is possible that you could end up not being assigned to any elements. In this case, your assignments will have to be made manually after the Lottery is over.
NOTE: Newly selected items will be ranked at the bottom of your list.
- Bell with /: This will hide the Lottery/Sign Up notifications and it will no longer be visible in your Activity List.
- NO symbol: Deselects all selected items.
- Check Mark: Select all items.
- Filter: Filters allow you to view only the elements that you are interested in. You can filter by dates, Courses, Campus, and other fields.
- Question Mark: Help Screen for this option.
- Close: Closes window.
Once you have made your selection for the Lottery/Sign Up, you can choose to Delete the notification from your Activity Report. by checking the Delete box on the far right.
Now that notification will no longer be in your list of activities/tasks to do.
And once you have move something to the Deleted Activities list, you can always review the list or un-delete a task notification if you need it back in your Activity list.