Settings: Edit Course Template
The Course Templates defines a given Course. It is used as a template for the Course each time that Course is taught, and can be thought of as the overall description of the Course.
Path: Home > Courses > [Course Screen] > Course Template > Settings > Edit Course Template
The Course Template has several key settings:
- Abbreviation: This is usually used to the tie the Course Template back to your Registrar's system.
- Name: The general name for the Course. It must be unique.
- Custom Abbr: Optional abbreviation to use instead of the Registrar's abbreviation
- Course Description: Use the WYSIWYG editor. This field is optional.
- School Year: Defines which year of the curriculum this Course is primarily taught in.
- Lock School Year: If set to Yes, this option will stop the update of the school year setting for this Course Template via the Registrar data feed or other external update routines. The school year can only be updated via this screen if the flag is set to Yes.
- Course Type: You need to specify the Course type. Your institution is in charge of defining Course types.
- Primary Course: Yes = this Course is part of the official curriculum.
- Rotations: If the Course is taught more than once a year, this should be set to Yes. If set to Yes, Rotation information is shown in the Event and Course info screen titles.
BG and FG Colors: Used to define the colors for the title bar of the Course. Be sure to use colors with good contrast or your title bar will be very hard to read. Currently you can choose background colors to be used in both of our themes: Legacy Theme and, as of Nov. 2017, our modern, responsive theme. Eventually the Legacy colors will be retired.
- BG Color (Legacy Theme): Used in our Legacy Theme as the background color of the title bar in the Course Info screen. It may also be used for the display of Events in your Calendar based on your system's settings.
- FG Color: Used in our Legacy Theme as the text color in your the Status bar of the Course Info screen. Be sure to choose a color that works well with the BG Color chosen.
- BG Color (Leo): This is the background color used to display Events from this Course in the Leo Calendar. If you do not assign colors in your Event Types, then this Course Template color will be used in the display of Events.
- Sources: Import, Manual, or Registrar
- Catalog: Registrar's Catalog Number, cannot be changed if already set.
- Credits: This field normally holds the credit value for this Course according to the Registrar.
NOTE: On many of our screens there is a Delete option, in this screen the delete and hide options are not always available, based on where the screen is being opened and your security level.
The first steps in creating a new Section is selecting:
- Academic Year
- Begin and End Dates
- Create New Section
The Registrar Course Name is normally populated by the Roster Import function. However, if a Course name is changed, then it may become necessary to manually repair or change the Registrar Course Name.
The Registrar Course Name is normally combination of the Catalog code and the name of the Course. It is very important that this convention is allowed, otherwise Leo will not be able to link new updates from the Registrar's office to the Course.
This option is only available to system administrators and should only be run if you are completely sure of what are doing.
It is very important that you understand the logic used by your Registrar import routine to be sure that any changes you make here are compatible with the roster import logic.
- Course Name: (display only) The name of the Course in Leo
- Reg Name: The Registrar's name for this Course
- Reg Code: The Registrar's identified for this Course. This should only be used if multiple Leo Course Templates are being tied back to a single Registrar Course
- Catalog: An identifier for the Course. (Optional)
- Abbreviation: Be Very Careful. This field is a unique identifier for your Course Template. Under normal circumstances it should never be changed. However, this option will let you change it.
NOTE: If you are not 100% certain about changing this field, do not do it.
This option will merge two Course Template Records together.
- Primary: This is Course Template that will remain after the merge and all Sections of the target will be re-linked to the Primary Course Template.
- Merge with: This is the target Course Template that will be merged into the Primary Course.
This screen is used to set special flags that define how all Courses for this Course Template will be processed in the Financial Contribution Tracking (FCT) module.
No Clinical Admin Flag: If set to YES, then the flag will not allocate clinical administrative costs to any Section/Rotations of this Course.
This report shows all of the Course (Sections/Rotations) that are associated with the current Course Template for all active Academic Years in your system.
- Rot: Click on the Rot field to open the Course Info Screen for that Course/Section/Rotation
- Year: Click on the Year name to see theSections/Rotations for that year
- Registrar Listing: Use this link to see a list of the Registrar Course records related to these Courses. (Note: If your school does not have a data feed from your Registrar then this report will be empty.)
- (**): A double asterisk (**) by the Section/Rotation number indicates that this is the primary Mapping Section of the Course for a given Academic Year.