This report shows a list of Lotteries or Signups for a given status.
The statuses are:
- Open: This is every Lottery that is not closed, deleted, or in preview mode.
- Preview: These Lotteries have been run, but the results have not been used to update the element(s) (Sections, Events, Long Event, or Groups) in the Lottery.
- Closed: These Lotteries have been run and the Students placed in the elements they were awarded.
- Deleted: These Lotteries have been deleted. You can un-delete these Lotteries if you want.
Path: Admin Toolbar > Course Management > Lotteries/Signups
This screen is used to set up a Lottery or Signup. The definition of these options is:
- Signup: Students pick an available Group or Event from a list. Once that item has been selected, the Student is done.
- Lottery: The Student rank orders the available items. If an item is oversubscribed (too many Students Signup) then Leo will randomly select from the Students that completed the Signup. Any Students not selected will get their second choice.
A Lottery or Signup allows Students to Signup for:
- Courses: This option will let the Students Signup for a Course. This option does not have any logic for prerequisite.
- Events: If there is one Event to be signed up for (ex: A Simulation Center exercise) then use this option. NOTE: that Long Events are included within Events.
- Groups: Use this option if Students are signing up for a set of Events to be taken by a Group in lock step.
- Long Events: If Students are signing up for one Long Event, then use this option. If signing up for multiple Long Events then you should use the Groups option.
The required fields (*) for a New Lottery/Signup ae:
- Name: Name the Lottery/Signup
- Program: Select from dropdown menu
- Type: Lottery or Signup
- Block Flag:
- Signup for: Select from dropdown: Course, Event, Group, or Long Event
- Begin Date Time
- End Date and Time
Optional fields are:
- Block Flag: Yes/No toggle
- Minimum Count
- Maximum Count
Close to Preview Results
You can use this same screen to view, edit, or delete Lotteries.
The required fields are marked with a red asterisk (*).
- Type: Select Lottery or Signup.
- Signup for: Select Course, Event Group, or Long Event.
Block Flag: Allows you to organize a large Group of choices into Blocks. The Block Option is only available for Course Lotteries.
- If you turn this option on, you will be to able define, or using existing settings, for Block of dates, where the Student will be able to select one Course for each date Block. Thus, you may have a Lottery that spans 6 months, but all of the Courses in the Lottery fall into one of three 2 month time periods. The Students would get a Course in each time Block, based on their ranked choices within those time Blocks.
Once you set the Block flag to YES, the Block tab will be enabled within the Lottery and the Limits tab will be enabled also.
NOTE: These only appear after you have saved the Lottery, and then you re-open it to Auto Create the Blocks and set Limits.
- Begin Date/Time and End Date/Time: This determines when this Lottery or Signup is available for Students.
- Min Count: The minimum number of Students that can Signup for the Course/Group/Event before it is removed. So if you set the limit to 2 Students, and only one Student signs up, then the Course will be removed and it won't happen and that Student's next choice will be chosen.
- Max Count: This is the maximum number of Students that can Signup for the Course/Group/Event.
NOTE: You will use this screen to set up a Signup as well. If that is what you need select Signup for the Type field.
Select which Courses/Groups/Events Students will be selecting from.
- Click Add to add Courses one at a time.
- Or you can click Add by Select to select a Group of Courses.
NOTE: The Add by Select option is only available for Course Lotteries. This link will not be present for Event or Group Lotteries.
Add/Edit Course Lottery Elements
This is where you can select a single Course to add to the Lottery - if you opt to add Courses this way, you will need to fill out this form for each Course you want to add.
- Linked to: begin typing or double-click to get a drop-down list of items to select from.
- Min Count: the minimum number of Students that can Signup (if left empty, this field will default to the Min Count set on the previous screen).
- Max Count: the maximum number of Students that can Signup (if left empty, this field will default to the Max Count set on the previous screen).
- History: this field will show you any important information about the history of the record. This field will remain empty until the record has been finalized.
Click Save Record to save and exit this screen.
Add by Select
This screen will let you select a group of Courses based on the parameter you select from fields in this screen. The Academic and School year are required.
All other fields are optional and cannot be accessed until you have select an academic and school year. If you select a specific Course Template then the school year will be automatically updated and hidden. When you click the Select Preview button a list of the Courses will be displayed, at which time you choose to add the Courses to your Lottery/Signup.
NOTE: When you first see this screen, you will only see the Academic Year and Exclude Required fields. Once you have selected something for Academic Year, the options below it will appear. Only the Academic Year field is required.
1. Active is the number of people enrolled in that Element outside/before the Lottery.
2. Count is the number of Students that have selected that particular Element (in this case Event) via the Lottery. You can click the number link in this column to see the list of Students that have selected that item.
3. To return to the Lottery/Signup setup screen, click Settings.
If this is a Lottery, then the Count is a number where this Element is likely one of multiple options these Students have selected.
If this is a Signup, then the Count indicates the number of Students that have selected this option and will be added to that target. You can click the number link in this column to see the list of Students that have selected that option.
The Lottery/ Signup will only ASSIGN people if the number of Active Students is less than the Max Count.
If the number of Active Students exceeds the Max Count, that Element is not considered for the Lottery.
For a Signup, it will indicate there are no slots for that Course/Event if the Active count exceeds the Max Count, so the Students cannot even select that option.
- Click Set Group Access to set what Groups will be signing up for this Lottery.
- You will be presented with a list of Groups; click to select the Groups in the left column to move them to the right column.
- Once you are done selecting, click the small square icon at the top-right corner of the screen to save your selection.
Group Access Screen
• Click to select the Groups in the left column to move them to the right column.
• Click the small black square at the top-right corner of the screen to save your selection.
NOTE: Do NOT skip this step - if you do not select which Groups are included in this Lottery, the Lottery will be sent to every User in your system.
To reset the Min/Max values, click Reset Element Min/Max
- If you click the Reset Element Min/Max, you will be presented with a warning asking you if you are sure you want to reset the elements.
- Click OK to continue.
- Cancel to go back.
NOTE: This option will reset all the Min/Max elements to match the original Min/Max Count you originally set when creating this Lottery.
This will save the Lottery record and all the settings.
After Students start to Signup, you can click Status during the Lottery to check the progress.
- Refresh: Click on this to refresh the Report with any recent changes.
- Undelete All: If you have closed and then re-opened a Lottery, there may be many Student choices that were deleted as part of the Lottery process. This option will re-activate all of those records.
- Unselect: Click here to mark any selected records as unselected. This is normally only required if an update has been interrupted. It essentially resets the Lottery so that it can be properly processed.
Once the Lottery/Signup period has closed, you can view the list of Students that have made their selections by clicking Student Roster.
- All Students: Shows the uses and selected elements sorted by element.
- Students with no selection: Shows the Students with no selections.
- Refresh: Refresh the report to show the most current data.
Click on Logs to view detailed logs of their roster assignment(s) and Lottery reversal(s). These logs will show who was assigned, the status of their assignment, and other information that may be helpful to understand the process.
The Lottery will automatically close on the End Date/Time that you have selected. To manually close and finalize the Lottery, click Close Lottery.
You will be presented with a warning message alerting you of the following:
- All under-subscribed elements of the Lottery will be canceled.
- Participants will be assigned to their top choices where there is room.
- Where there is not enough room, participants will be selected by Lottery until the element is full.
You can then click Stop to cancel, or Close Lottery to finalize.
If you select Close, you will be prompted to type a confirmation code (provided in message) to show that you are not a robot.
Once you close the Lottery, you will receive the process notification above and be taken to the preview Lottery report.
This option will let you force close a Lottery without further processing. If a Lottery is taking too long to complete, and only has a limited number of outstanding choices, this option can be used to force the Lottery to close, after which you can manually assign the remaining choices.
NOTE: Once you Finalize the Lottery/Signup, Students that have not participated will be left out. You will need to manually add those Students to the individual Course/Group/Event's Student roster.
- Once the Lottery/Signup period has closed, you can view the list of Students that have made their selections by clicking Student Roster.
- Click Final Roster to view the final rosters for each Course/Group/Event in the Lottery.
- You can view All Elements - This shows the status of all elements, including canceled elements.
- You can view By Student - This will show a list of Students and their final assignment. If the Lottery allows multiple assignments, the Students will appear in the list multiple times.
- You can click on Email Results to Users to send out an email to all participants informing them of the Lottery results.
This report shows Lotteries that have been Finalized. Once a Lottery is Closed it will appear in the Finalized Lottery list. You can click on the name of the Lottery to view detailed information about the outcome of the Lottery.
This is a list of all the Lotteries/Signups that have been finalized. It also indicates whether it is a Lottery or a Signup, and whether it was for a Course/Event/Group. For each of the items listed, the open and close date are indicated. If you click on any item in the list, you can view the details and also Re-open any of the Closed/Finalized Lotteries.
- If you would like to re-open a closed Lottery/Signup, identify the Lottery/Signup that in the list of Finalized Lotteries.
- Click Re-Open Lottery.
- When you click on Re-Open Lottery, you will have two options for how to re-open the Lottery.
- Re-Open Canceled Choices: This will make all of the canceled choices available to Users again. This option is only of use if there were unselected options still available.
- Re-Open All Choices: This option will re-open the canceled choices and will also re-open the choices that have been awarded. Students will be removed from the Course, Event, Group, etc., to which they were assigned by the Lottery.
- Select how you want to open the Lottery.
- You will be prompted to type a confirmation code (provided in message).
Depending on whether you select Re-Open Canceled Choices or Re-Open All Choices, you will receive one of the messages shown here. When you click on OK, you will be taken back to the Edit Lottery screen.
Once you re-open the Lottery, you can edit it like you would set up or edit an existing Lottery that was not finalized.