About Lottery Tool
The Lottery Tool allows Students to choose Courses that are electives or are otherwise open to being enrolled at the discretion of the Student. Examples of this may include a Clerkship, Clinical Electives, general electives or a geographical region preference. A Lottery can be used for Courses, Groups and Events
If a Course/Group/Event is over-subscribed, the Students that indicated their highest ranking for the Course/Group/Event will be given preference. If there are still too many Students with the same preference, the system will randomly select which Students will be selected for the Course, Group, or Event.
Path: Admin Toolbar > Curriculum Management > Lotteries/Signups
NOTE: In order to set up a Lottery/Signup, first you need to set up the Elements that will make up the Lottery, and the Groups that will participate in the Lottery. Think of these as the ingredients required to create a Lottery/Sign Up.
These are referred to as the Elements.
- Courses: This is applicable for a Course. This option does not have any logic for prerequisites.
- Groups: This is used for a set of Events to be taken as a Group.
- Events: This is applicable for one or more Events (ex. a Simulation Center exercises).
A Lottery allows Student to sign up for:
Courses: This option will let the Students sign up for a Course. This option does not have any logic for prerequisite.
- For more detailed information, refer to the article: Course Lottery
Groups: Use this option if Students are signing up for a set of Events to be taken by a group in lock step.
- For more detailed information, refer to the article: Group Lottery
- Events: See below Signups
- Students will be able to rank-order a Group of Courses, Groups, or Events they would like to join.
- The higher the rank-order for a Course/Group/Event, the better the chances are forgetting that Course/Group/Event, but no two Courses/Groups/Events can have the same rank order.
- The system will always try to give Students their first choice.
- If the first choice is no longer available, the system will assign the Student's second choice (and so on).
For example: The Leo Lotteries use a randomized list of Users to determine assignments. If the Lottery is a standard Lottery then this list is randomized every rank, so random list for rank 1, new list for rank 2, etc.
If the Lottery is a Block Lottery then the list gets randomized for every combination of Rank and Block. For example, Rank 1 Block 1 first list, Rank 1 Block 2 new list, etc.
If you have a Lottery that you have run previously, we suggest that you do not run that same Lottery again with new dates for this year. In other words, it is best to set up a new Lottery each time you want to run it.
And if you practice running a Lottery in your Training system, do not expect the same placement/results when you actually run the Lottery in your live Production system, because the Lottery placements are unique to each time the Lottery runs (because of the element of randomness involved in computerized lotteries).
If the Lottery/Signup system has been activated in your system, the Activity Icon (Bell) will have a red number on it.
- There is no rank ordering for the Signup feature - they are first come, first serve selection.
- Students can sign up for only one of a given number of choices.
Events generally use our Signup feature:
Events: If there is just one Event to be signed up for (ex: A Simulation Center exercise) then use this option.
- For more detailed information, refer to the article: Event Signup
Long Events: As with standard Events, if Students are signing up for just one Long Event, then use this option. If signing up for multiple Long Events then you should use the Group option.
- For more detailed information, refer to the article: Long Event Signup