Leo provides you with the capability to preview the results of your Lottery before you finalize them. This allows you to run your Lotteries with confidence, examine your results, and make sure you're happy with the outcome before the results are released to students.
Path: Admin Toolbar > Course Management > Lotteries/Signups > [Open Lottery Report]
Steps to Preview the Lottery
Click on the Name of the Lottery you would like to Preview.
- Click the Close Results button on the Edit Lottery page.
Once you have clicked the Close Lottery button, you will receive a pop-up informing you that by closing the Lottery Leo will complete the following:
- Participants will be assigned to their top choices where there is room.
- Where there is not enough room, participants will be selected by the Lottery until the element is full.
- If this is a Block Lottery, then once a block item has been selected, related items in other blocks will be canceled.
- You will be able to Preview the results on the following screens prior to Finalizing.
- If you are ready to close out the Lottery to the Students, please click Close in the bottom right hand corner.
- Enter in the confirmation code provided on the screen to continue.
Leo will close the Lottery and you will receive a pop-up message indicating that the Report is now ready for Preview
- Click on the Click here to continue to view the Preview Report.
The Lottery Preview Report lets you review the final outcome of the Lottery before the results are made live. This will allow you the opportunity to accept or reject the results prior to Finalizing the Lottery.
You can review the results of the Lottery by Element (i.e. Event, Section, Long Event, etc), by Student, or by Block (for Block Course Lotteries).
- Element: Click on the name of an Element to get a listing of all Students who were assigned to that Element
- Student: You can click on a Student's name to view all the Elements awarded to that Student
- Rank: The Rank column displays which choice was selected by the Students. This shows a visualization of the rank distribution. Only values currently visible in the report will be displayed.
- Target: Click on the View Target link to open the selection (Event, Section, Group)
Once the Report has been Finalized, by the approval of the results in the Preview Mode, the Lottery will assign the Students to the Event, Long Event, Group, or Section that they have been awarded.
Once you have reviewed the selected Lottery results in the Preview Report, you have the option to Finalize the results. This will allow the Students to be assigned to the respected Element (Event, Group, Section) they have selected.
To Finalize the Lottery follow these steps:
- Click the Finalize Lottery link on the top of the screen.
- On the Finalize Lottery pop-up click Yes to release the results.
NOTE: Once you finalize the Lottery/Sign Up, Students who have not participated will be left out. You will need to manually add those Students to the roster for the individual Course/Group/Event.
Preview Closed Lotteries Report
The Preview Closed Lottery Report shows a list of Lotteries which have been run, but the results have not been used to update the Element(s) (Sections, Events, Long Event, or Groups).
- Path: Admin Toolbar > Course Management > Lotteries/Signups >Preview
You can review each Lottery in the Preview Report prior to Finalizing (i.e. placing the Students in the Elements which they were awarded)
- Click on the Lottery that you want to review.
Viewing an Individual Lottery Preview Report
The Lottery Preview Report lets you review the final outcome of the Lottery before the actual results are made live. At this point, the Lottery has determined the final outcome and recorded the final assignment(s) for each Student.
- However, no Event, Long Event, Course, or Group has been updated.
- The final update, which will assign the Students to the Event, Long Event, Group, or Course will not happen until you approve the results in the Preview.
You essentially have two options in the Preview Mode:
- Reject the results, in which case the lottery is opened again
- Accept the results, in which case the students will be assigned to the Event, Long Event, Group, or Course designated by the lottery.
You can review the results of the lottery by lottery element (Event, Long Event, Group, or Course), by Student, or, for Block Course Lotteries, by block.
The Individual Lottery Preview allows you to do the following:
- Review the standings of the Element in regards to the Students who will be assigned, the Students ranked selections, and review the Target (Section, Event, Group, etc.)
- Reset the results, in which case the Lottery will open again
- Accept the results and Finalize, in which case the Students will be assigned to the Event, Long Event, Group, or Section designated by the Lottery
This report can display the data in number of ways:
- All Records,by Element (default): Shows all selected elements, sorted by element, by student
- All Records, by User: Shows all selected elements, sort by student, by element
- View Rank Distribution: Click to view the rank distribution report
- Reset to Open: Click to open the Lottery
- Finalize Lottery: Click to Finalize the Lottery and assign Students
- Element: Click the name of an Element to get a listing of all Students who were assigned that Element
- Student: Click a student's name to view all the Elements awarded to the student
- Rank: This is the rank assigned to this Section by the Student
- Target: Click here to open the Target (Event, Long Event, Group, or Course)
To learn more about how to Finalize, Reset, and View Rank Distribution, please refer to the previous section in this article on Previewing Closed Lotteries.